Tomorrow or Monday our school district will be recieving our Letter of Intent to Homeschool, per WA state homeschool laws. Hopefully by the end of next week I should have Raia formally UNenrolled from her elementary school.
We've done 4 days now of homeschooling, but I don't think it'll feel "real" until Raia is no longer on the student rolls of the school, and when the little yellow school bus starts rolling past our house without stopping. (well, it'll still stop for Errol, which I'm not quiet looking forward to, because I'm sure *that's* when Raia will start asking the really hard questions about why she's not going back to school with her friends.)
It's all a bit surreal. I NEVER imagined myself a homeschooler. I'm used to going against the status quo when it comes to parenting choices (natural childbirth, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, extended-nursing, etc.) but THIS has forced me to move waaaaaaaay beyond my old comfort level. I'm finding my groove though. I'm finding my confidence. :) I just have to remember that gaining an education is a journey, not a race. I don't have to teach Raia everything *right now*. I don't have to make sure she's learning exactly what her public school peers are learning, so long as she's learning. It doesn't matter if she's "behind" or "ahead". She can just be Raia, learning at Raia's pace. She's in a class by herself, and that can be a wonderful, freeing thing. :)
Stumped
1 week ago

I thought you might like to know that the compulsory school age in Washington State is 8 years old. If you have not already turned in your intent to homeschool letter you may not want to. If you google compulsory or mandatory attendance in Washington State you should get all the information you need.
ReplyDeleteI did. :) My DD however has already attended public school for two and a half years (a year and a half at the school district's special ed. pre-school, and a year of Kindergarten.) Because of that she needs a letter of intent. :)
ReplyDelete