Halfway through Raia's first grade year! (can I get a *woot woot*??) We technically hit half-way point just before the holidays, but I only realized it this week, as I was writting "Week 20" at the top of my weekly lesson plans sheet. (we're doing a 36 week school year) In History Raia has been through Mesopotamia and Babylon, Ancient Egypt, and is now wandering through Greece and Persia (with the rise and fall of Rome, the rise of Christianity, and the building of the Great Wall still to come). In Math she's learned her addition facts, and is now wandering into the world of subtraction. In Language Arts she's completed Level 1 of her spelling curriculum, is on schedual to finish her grammar curriculum a full month early, can breeze through nearly any "I can read myself" Dr. Suess book, and her handwritting is beautiful (and she's a lefty!). This week in Science we wrapped up our animal studies, and next week we'll start studying the human body. In Seminary we went through an entire Book of Mormon workbook (condensed stories with word puzzles and coloring activity pages), and are now going through the lessons of Preach My Gospel (which I'm finding is surprisingly kid friendly! read the description of the gospel topic, read a couple of corresponding scriptures, ask some questions, and done! Raia is loving it and learning lots) We started formal Art this month, looking at prints of classical paintings, learning about the techniques the artists used, and then practicing them with "real artists supplies" (pastels, watercolors, modeling clay, and pencils).
And of course I'm learning too. Patience being a daily lesson. ;) As hard as it is at times though, I'm loving it. And Raia is loving it too! My little social butterfly. I was so nervous pulling her out of school, wondering if she would be lonely and wanting to go back to school with her friends; but the past few months have shown just how much of a Mommy's Girl she is. And she most deffinately doesn't fit the stereotype of a homeschooled kid: shy, sheltered, and socially awkward (as if those types of kids don't exist in public schools. I was certainly one of them). She is quick to make friends anywhere she can find them: the park, the library, the gym childcare room, etc. I don't doubt she'll be able to function in society as well as any other public schooled kid out there. :)
George and I had approached this first homeschooling year as a "trial year": if it didn't work, back to public school Raia would go, and we'd consider it a lesson learned. It made the first few weeks a little stressful for me, when there was a lot of falling on my face trying to get all this Very Important Information crammed into her head, but I was finally able to relax, find my groove, and then, without even realizing it, last week I started purchasing curriculum for her 2nd grade year. It wasn't until the first box arrived in the mail that I realized what I'd done. Accepted homeschooling as an assumed part of our family's existance! It's a pretty cool feeling to realize that what was once the waaaaaaay outside of my comfort zone, is now completely withIN my comfort zone. Sending Raia back to public school would be such a hard thing to do at this point. I'd miss her so much. :( (not to mention missing the freedom to pick up and go to the park on a sunny day, or the library on a dreary rainy day, and just generally not being tied to the school calander!)
It's been an interesting 20 weeks for sure. :)
Stumped
1 week ago

Good for you!
ReplyDeleteBy your post, it sounds like homeschooling is working great for Raia -- and for you! Do you run into any problems with Errol and Patrick wanting your attention at the very moment you're trying to work with Raia?
ReplyDeleteKellie: Oh ya, they interrupt fairly often. We do "school" up on Raia's bunk bed a lot to try and mitigate the amount of interruptions we have to deal with, but there are some subjects (like writting and math worksheets) that Raia can do semi-independently, so I can juggle a kid or two to get them settled. I try to have a movie on for Errol and Patrick when I need to really give Raia my undivided attention, but Raia does still have a longer "Recess" period during school so that I can deal with her brothers before getting back to help her with her school work.
ReplyDeleteThat's the wonderful thing about homeschooling though, we're not tied to a clock. However long it takes us to get through our day's workload is how long it takes. (but typically we start at 9 and we're done by lunch)
Great job! And it is a big lesson on patience. But, I simply love how it makes me want MORE time with my boys.
ReplyDeleteI haven't done alot of history like you've done. What curriculum did you get for 2nd grade?
Erica: All I've bought so far is the grade 2 version of the handwritting curriculum we're currently using (Writting With Ease). I'm in search of a used copy of Story of the World 2 (we're using SOTW 1 for History this year). I don't have nearly all that I'll need to start 2nd grade, but I'm starting to look around for cheap copies of what I want.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are enjoying it! I also started homeschooling since k my now first grader thinking it would be a trial thing and to my surprise I can't bear the thought of ever sending him to public school ever again!
ReplyDelete