Thursday, March 31, 2011

Amazing LDS homeschool resource!

My favorite homeschooling "perk" is that no one bats an eyelash if we start our day with Prayer and a scripture verse. Raia is having "seminary" NOW, rather than having to wait until she's 14. We've been consistent with it, but finding a meaty, child-friendly, LDS-based curriculum to use has been a challenge. I bought a children's Book of Mormon reader from Deseret Book that we went through during the first half of the school year, and it was okay, but I don't know how much of it sank in. Then we did Preach My Gospel. Same thing. Now I'm trying to read her Gospel Principles (summarizing parts of it), and I still worry about how much is sinking in. She LOVES the Friend magazine that the church puts out, and we read articles from there every Friday, but I still want something a little meatier. She'll be old enough to be baptized in just 17 months, and I'm really feeling the fire under my, uh, posterior, to make sure she really understands what it's all about.

Enter School of Abraham!

They have THIS amazing schedule on their website. It's the Gospel Principles manual (the old one, but you can sub in the new one), broken up into smaller pieces (one lesson spread out over one week), with memory verses, Primary songs, and stories from the Friend archives added in (you have to look them up/print them off yourself, but at least you know what you're looking for!) This is SO going to be our Seminary curriculum for this next school year! I'll continue reading the GP manual with her as I'm currently doing now, but maybe add in more days where we just read the Friend, because *those* stories really sink in for her, and then when Errol is done with Preschool I can have him join Raia in Seminary and he can go with us through the manual from the beginning.

I'm so excited. :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan.

    I don't mean to be rude, but I honestly could not read the text of this post until I highlighted all of it. The text just does not show up against the background color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followup: the background design helps a lot, but had failed to load until after I commented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bookmarking that link. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete