Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Out and a'boot

And George has left the country.

He and his family are gathering in Ontario this week for his oldest brother's wedding. One of his sisters called me this afternoon asking if I knew his flight information, since his parents didn't have it. (He didn't give it to them??? He's their ride from the airport to the wedding!) When I mentioned that he should be arriving on time, since he'd called me from Atlanta just as his connecting flight was leaving, she said "Oh! Atlanta! THAT bit of information will help Mom and Dad," Something tells me there's been a sore lack of communication amongst the family in regards to this whole trip. :oP I hope they don't all lose each other over the course of the week. Canada's a big country. heh.

Life here has been okay. The kids asked for daddy a bit. They wanted to talk to him on the phone mainly. I tried to explain that Daddy was on a plane to Canada, but I don't think they believed me. He's just "not here".

Raia had her first homework assignment today. A worksheet with a large blank square on it, and she had to draw and/or cut and paste the letter "A" and/or pictures of things that started with the letter "A" inside of it. I found an old magazine I'd gotten from the library, and she cut out a few print letter A's, and a picture of an apple, then she drew an ant. She also wrote her name inside the square, instead of down on the name like like she was supposed to. When I pointed out to here that she had to write her name there, she wrote it much more sloppily than she did in the box, with one "a" being backwards. *sigh* She's also starting to write her name with an "I'm" at the beginning, since the name line on all her worksheets have "I'm _______" on them. I wonder why they do it this way? When George and I first taught Raia to recognize her name, we used to always underline it, so her first few attempts at writing it herself were all underlined, and it took us a while to break her of that habit, and now here is her Kindergarten teacher introducing her to a new habit!

I got a call from Errol's teacher today saying that he is doing *great* in class. He's following the class rules really well, and responds well to discipline (time-out's, picking up a toy he threw across the room, etc.) We're still going to met on Monday to go over the form she said I'd have to fill out if they felt they'd need to use physical force to restrain him or get him to go in the direction he needs to go, but isn't expecting it to be anything they'll end up having to use.

I wish I had a project to work on or something while George is gone, like reorganizing the kids' room or something. It's only Day 1 and I'm already feeling a little loopy. I need something to do besides "take care of the house and kids" when he's not here. I swear I get headaches from lack of brain stimulation. :oP It didn't help that, due to the long travel times, and brief lay-over time inbetween his flights, I only got to talk to George for 15 minutes just before lunchtime. He took his webcam with him, so tomorrow should hopefully be a longer, more mentally stimulating conversation.

Errol didn't take a nap today, so I put the kids in bed at 7pm. Errol was out by 7:15, Raia not until after 7:30, but they were quiet and out of my hair! Patrick fell asleep shortly after I put them to bed, so it's not even 8pm and the house is quiet. Hopefully I can pull this off again tomorrow.

Here's to making it through the next 6 days!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck being a single parent for a few days! I am so used to Chad being gone or at work or Church that I am almost surprised when he is around! Enjoy your time alone, sometimes it is nice to just sit on the couch at the end of a long day of chasing kids by yourself and turn on a sappy chick flic...my personal favorite is "Steel Magnolias"!

    ReplyDelete