Friday, May 8, 2009

Limp Gimp

Only one week back at the gym, and I'm back on my posterior like I was during the final month of pregnancy. This time, instead of being kept home by insane tiredness and off-and-on contractions, I'm bound to home by a gimp ankle. Maybe I tried to get up to my pre-pregnancy fitness level too fast, or my new workout shoes weren't adequately broken-in, but I started having a pain in my ankle last Thursday, and today, after a week of limping, two Dr's visits, an x-ray, and lots of ibuprofen, I finally got diagnosed with tendinitis. Yippy-skippy! My ankle is now in a brace, and I'm on a stronger pain medication because the ibuprofen just wasn't cutting it, although it is helping with the inflammation. Nothing seems to help the swelling though. If you were to look at my right ankle just now you'd think I had cankles.

And this couldn't come at a worse time. I really want to get back into exercising, because it's such a mood booster for me, and the 6 week post-partum wait was hard enough to get through. I don't know what exercise I can safely do with a gimp ankle. Also, having a pronounced limp hasn't made chasing after three kiddos any easier. Getting up for night feedings with Patrick have been especially challenging, because putting weight on that foot after several hours of inactivity is excruciating.

We also had plans to start cleaning out the garage this weekend (soooo much junk piled up in there!) and I don't know how much help I'm going to be now, and the sun is coming out this weekend, which usually means walks around the lake and trips to the park. Those are a no-go as well. *sigh*

On the bright side, here's hoping my sporty ankle brace and a bottle of pills with a fairly high street value will clear things up soon.

4 comments:

  1. You poor thing!!! Let me know if there is anything you need from me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds terrible! Seriously, can I help with anything? I can run errands, help with the kids, Wednesday night, whatever...just let me know! -Lynell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the offers Paula and Lynell. :) I'm doing fine for now. George is done with school for the semester, so he'll be able to take care of things for the weekend and in the evenings. The pain meds and ankle brace are helping immensely.

    Lynell, thank you for offering to help on Wednesday if I don't make it (although if today is any indication, I probably should be able to). Maura should be able to take care of things if I can't make it, but she'd probably appreciate another adult in the room. You know how hyper those girls can get. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, feel free to offer my help to Maura if needed...

    ReplyDelete