Thursday, May 21, 2009

O Ice Cream, Where Art Thou?

Tuesday night we had a some-what successful Family Home Evening. Patrick messed his diaper at the very beginning, so George spent most of it getting him cleaned up, and Errol lost interest once we got done with singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes". I had Raia's attention though. The lesson was learning the First Article of Faith, and Raia enjoyed it. She seems to enjoy memorizing things. She still remembers, and spouts off at random, her little speaking line from last November's Primary Program. She hasn't got this one quiet memorized yet, but it shouldn't take her too long, with a bit of follow-up practice.

Afterwards we had ice cream, and since then the kids have been begging for more. Last night before we'd even had dinner Raia asked if it was "night time" yet, and if it was time for "home evening". When I brought home the ice cream I'd told them it was a Family Home Evening treat, and that they couldn't have it until the "sunshine was all done" (that's been the best way to get my kids to learn about the passing of time "sunshine all done" is night time "sunshine comes back" is day time. If they have to wait until tomorrow for something, I say "You have to wait until the sunshine is all done today, and then when it comes back it'll be time for _______". Raia is starting to outgrow it, but Errol still accepts it as an answer as to "when" he'll finally get something. "tomorrow" means nothing to him) When I started making dinner Raia came to me in her PJ's (the sun wasn't even down yet) and said "Mommy, it's night time! Ice cream now?" I told her she couldn't have any until after dinner. After one bite of her dinner she asked for it again. This is why ice cream isn't commonly found in our freezer. :0P

2 comments:

  1. That's funny, we did FHE on Tuesday too. The other funny thing is that when it was over I begged Chad to go get me some ice cream (anything that was chocolate with chocolate in it) which is something I NEVER do. I keep having to tell myself that I have to wait till the sun goes down and the kids are in bed to have any! I think Raia and I must be kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! With Kendall we used to say how many more "sleeps" until something happened, like, "We'll go to the zoo after 2 more sleeps!"...I think we got that from the Muppets Christmas Carol ("one more sleep 'til Christmas!")

    ReplyDelete