Monday, May 18, 2009

Sabbath Day

Lately I've felt that my family hasn't done too good a job at keeping the Sabbath. Going to church for three hours, and not going to the store, seemed to be the only activity that made it different from all the other days. The kids watched TV and played with toys. I surfed the internet and cleaned. George watched movies on his lap top. And all this "doing nothing" lead to a time-crunch around 12pm when we would suddenly all start getting ready for church.

Yesturday I declared a "no media" rule, and it lead to a *great* Sunday morning! It was sunny, so we let the kids play outside while George and I sat in lawn chairs or on the patio swing and watched them while reading our Sunday School lessons, and kicked balls back and forth with them. The house was peaceful with no blaring TV, and we were doing something as a family instead of all doing our own thing. We got ready for church on time, without dashing about the house during that last hour, trying to get stuff together. It made for a great Sabbath day. The Spirit was deffinately there. We'll probably be repeating the "no media" rule next week as well.

1 comment:

  1. You are my inspiration!! Seriously, I am the worst at this! I think I'll do the "no media" rule too. Especially with the weather being so nice!! :-)

    ReplyDelete